[tei-council] access to current builds of TEI P5

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 15:23:41 EST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011, at 19:46, Martin Holmes wrote:

> I don't actually know what's happening with regard to Oxford's
> contribution -- could someone point me at some details?

Oxford had three involvements

  a) as  a TEI host for 2 terms since 2000.  the host arrangement expired
   at the end of 2010, and we have not yet applied to be new-style partners.
  b) as a contractor for editorial services, again to the end of 2010. we have
    not asked to renew this arrangement
  c) via the 3 Oxford people elected to Board or Council (me, Lou and James);
	James and I are still elected  members of Council, Lou is still
       elected member of Board but no longer at Oxford University

> It's hard to
> imagine how we could manage without the Oxford gang

depends what you mean by "Oxford gang", but
  a) Lou obviously  remains very active is his own right and for Adonis
  b) James and I will obviously participate fully in our role as elected
       members of Council. we both assume that this means
       reasonable amounts of time and expertise donated to the Council's work.
	in my case that certainly includes SF admin and Styleheet dev, for example

> ,- there's so much I
> hardly understand yet about the editing and build process.

now's the time to ask :-}

> I don't think it would make sense to open up editing to anyone who asks
> -- surely we'd want a subset of council members (those who feel
> competent and confident enough not to break anything), with a mentoring
> or hand-holding process for new members wanting to take on that role.

this goes back to the interesting discussion before Christmas about which
roles different people feel happy with. I concluded from that there is no
one-size-fits all - some people find task A possible to take on, others task B,
others task C, etc

You may detect an underlying theme to most of my contributions here,
viz my opinion that it is high time the TEI Guidelines management
becomes a community activity  with much more widespread empowerment
and involvement, away from the hierarchical and elitist system that
served us well for the first 20 years. but that is my _personal_ view,
and I of course will follow what this Council decides.
Information and Support Group Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente