[tei-council] logistics for Council meeting in Chicago

Kevin Hawkins kevin.s.hawkins at ultraslavonic.info
Wed Jan 26 13:10:18 EST 2011

Hi folks,

Allow me to give a bit more context on plans for the Chicago meeting.

I saw Laurent in October and mentioned to him that if he wanted to hold
the 2011 Council meeting in North America, I could get us free space to
meet near Chicago (thanks to my affiliation with the University of
Michigan), which would be fairly easy for Council members to get to.
While Council meetings have often included a pre-meeting event that
provided outreach to the local institution, in this case there is no
local institution but rather some nearby institutions as well as general
proximity to much of the population of North America.  We had some ideas
towards a program involving guest speakers who might provide some food
for thought for Council memebers and for other speakers or even outside
attendees.  However, from our recent discussion on the list, we weren't
confident that we could all formulate a worthwhile program, and it has
become increasingly clear how much work the Council needs to accomplish
since it has been so long since we had either a conference call or an
in-person meeting.  So we should now plan on three days of working
meetings: April 11-13.

I realize that some Council members have conflicts with these dates
(including, very unfortunately, Martin, who was unable to make last
year's meeting either), but as usual, it is difficult to find dates that
will work for everyone.  In the future we might be able to begin
planning earlier and attempt to survey Council members about available
dates.

I believe this year's incoming Council members were never welcomed to
our group, so let me extend a welcome to you as local organizer of the
upcoming meeting.  James and Sebastian are incumbants, but Piotr Banski
and Stuart Yeates are new to the group (or at least new within my recent
memory).  As Stuart and I discussed off list, travel expenses for
Council meetings are reimbursed by the TEI-C, as explained at
http://wiki.tei-c.org/index.php/TEI-Council-FAQ along with many other
useful things.  So Stuart is working on joining us in Chicago, and I
hope the rest of you will be able to make it as well.

The recommend place to stay is the Marriot Chicago O'Hare (
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/chiap-chicago-marriott-ohare/ ).
This hotel has a free shuttle from Chicago O'Hare International Airport,
is near a station on the "L" (Chicago's above- and underground transit
system), and is only two blocks away from the Big Ten Center (where we
will meet).  While the hotel offers a special rate for people attending
meetings at the Big Ten Center ($134 per night, not including taxes), if
enough of us will stay there, I might be able to get an even better
rate.  I hope (but am not positive) that this rate would extend to any
extra days that you wanted to stay in Chicago (say, the previous
weekend).  While only expenses for the time of the meeting are
reimbursable (that is, Sunday through Tuesday nights at the hotel), you
could take advantage of the discounted rate for a personal stay in Chicago.

*Could I get a count of how many people would be willing to stay at this
hotel and which days you would be arriving and departing?  Please email
me directly by Feb. 3.*  If there is at least 10 of you, I will attempt
to negotiate a better with the hotel, and in any case, I will provide
further instructions.

Kevin