[tei-council] TEI P5 1.9.0

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at retired.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 26 09:09:02 EST 2011

On 26/01/11 14:02, Laurent Romary wrote:
> Le 26 janv. 11 à 14:59, Sebastian Rahtz a écrit :
>
>>> I don't know if the last one is necessary, but we have users for
>>> Debian haven't we?
>> sure. but we have many more users who are *not* Debian
> Probably yes :-}. Could the experience gained from automating the
> maintenance of a Debian package be used to support other platforms,
> like MacOS?

I think this is silly. We have to make the packages available in some
form or another; Debian is as useful as any other, more useful than
some, and we have a system more or less in place for doing it
automatically.  If someone came out of the woodwork offering to produce
Mac archives or Windows MSIs  that would be nice, but there's no sign of
that happening sfaics.

If we stopped producing deb archives, presumably everyone would have to
maintain their system either by synchronising with the svn repo, or by
downloading and unpacking tar archives, which would just add to our
support burden and reduce still further the usability of the service
offered.