[tei-council] Hyphenation discussion

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 06:49:09 EST 2011

My votes (in order of preference) are for:

(b) tighten up the (recommended) vocab

(a) more or less status quo

(e) if we change the attribute, change it completely because we no
longer have a use-case for @type (and can always re-introduce if we
acquire one later).

In the last case, is it possible to _deprecate_ @type, giving six months
warning that it will be removed? (Or is that effectively (d)?)

On 23/01/2011 16:04, Lou Burnard wrote:
> a) add to 3.2 the text circulated previously , and add some more
> suggested values to the @type attribute, but make it (even more)
> explicit that these are just suggestions for how you might use that
> attribute
>
> b) ditto, but make the list tighter and remove redundancy from it (i.e.
> either inWord or noBreak but not both)
>
> c) leave @type alone, but add a new explicit @breaking attribute with
> three possible values
>
> d) leave @type alone, add new @breaking attribute, add a comment that
> you shouldn't use @type to do the job of @breaking (or indeed of @ed)
>
> e) add @breaking, remove @type
>
> Can we have a quick show of hands from ALL council members on which of
> these options they would most/least like to live with?
>
> P.S.
>
> I persist in thinking that the @cert issue is different -- if we apply
> @cert to an<lb/>  we are saying something about how certain we are that
> there is a line (or whatever) beginning here. I find it hard to imagine
> a case in which this is meaningful -- we're not talking about whether or
> not the line of our transcription always began here (if we think it
> didn't, we'd put in a<gap/>  which could then have @cert)  but whether
> it does in the document/object we're transcribing. But, as I say, in any
> case it's a different question, so please don't comment on that in
> response to this messsage!

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL