[tei-council] Council meeting in April - Symposium on 11. April

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 17:11:14 EST 2011

On 18/01/11 20:14, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2011, at 20:03, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
>
>> I think you're referring to the proposed topic for John Maxwell.  He did
>> semantic markup for years and gave up on it because he felt that it was
>> needlessly complicated for most publishing workflows.  See
>> http://thinkubator.ccsp.sfu.ca/wikis/xmlProduction/Home .
> This, surely, is a good example of  beating a dead horse. Would
> anyone disagree with the points he makes? I wouldn't,
> in the broad.  TEI _is_ needlessly complicated for most publishing workflows.
> But Poughkeepsie never said it was designed for that
> ("... a standard format for data interchange...").

exactly. FWIW, somewhere I used to have a copy of a great presentation
from Brian Reid, inventor of Scribe, one of the first descriptive markup
languages, in which he too claims  a Pauline conversion about the
uselessness of descriptive markup in the publishing context. This horse
is not just dead, it's pushing up the daisies.

on a more positive note, here are some other Big10 people i think might
be able to give a more positive note to the proceedings (they're all
people we saw recently in Chicago for the Symposium Martin organised in
November, so he may well be able to suggest more)

-- Allen Renear

-- Brian Pitzig (spelling? worked with Martin on Monk)

--  Doug Reside (OK, not a big ten person)

--  Perry Willett