[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:39:52 EST 2011

On 11 Jan 2011, at 15:30, Lou Burnard wrote:

> . They are not meant to be complete documents in
> themselves, nor exemplary in any sense other than that of the point
> being illustrated.

agreed, they not are virtuous exemplars.

>  Hence, I think this example is in the category of "deliberately
> invalid schematick" and I would wrap it in a CDATA marked section
> accordingly.

Yes, this is a good example of a deliberately invalid schema tick,
but I worry a lot that the CDATA route is the slippery downhill one
which leads us back to the slough we have dragged ourselves from.
We really do want a check that <entry> is an allowed child of <div>,
and is not spolt <Entry> and is well-formed. The CDATA method
loses more than it gains.

I think we need some other notation to express your ticks, to let you say
 "entries occur inside divs" and have that shown graphically to the reader.
 Information and Support Group Manager
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente