[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:30:09 EST 2011

(sorry to come to this discussion late)

I think this discussion is missing a rather important point about what
the function of an example is or should be.
The examples in the body of the text of the Guidelines are for the most
part intended to illustrate a specific point about how a specific
element should be used. They are not meant to be complete documents in
themselves, nor exemplary in any sense other than that of the point
being illustrated. They should be valid, but not if making them valid
necessitates introducing confusing irrelevancies.

So, in this case, I would ask whether the example is trying to tell us
that a <div> can contain just <entry>s, or whether it is trying to tell
us something about the contents of the <entry>s.  I think  it's the
former rather than the latter. Adding content to the <entry>s would in
fact confuse the issue (does it mean that a <div> can contain only empty
entries, or only entries which contain just <gap>s, or any kind of
entry?) Hence, I think this example is in the category of "deliberately
invalid schematick" and I would wrap it in a CDATA marked section
accordingly.