[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 04:44:01 EST 2011

visible to all at http://rahtz.oucs.ox.ac.uk:8080/job/TEIP5/29/parsed_console/?  …..

> The ones that cannot be fixed -- because they are deliberately schematic
> -- should in my view be recoded as CDATA marked sections. This would
> have the advantage that they will be visually distinct from the "real"
> examples. The text around them should also explicitlky draw attention to
> the fact that these are not valid examples.

James has an interesting counter proposal, that we should make all
the examples entirely valid, but add a new attribute @noDisplay in the TEIX namespace.

so
  <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" xmlns:teix="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples">
    <fileDesc teix:noDisplay='true'>
      <titleStmt>
        <title>The title</title>
      </titleStmt>
      <editionStmt>
      </editionStmt>
      <publicationStmt>
      </publicationStmt>
      <sourceDesc>
      </sourceDesc>
    </fileDesc>
 </egXML>

would generate in the printed page

   <fileDesc>
      <!-- mandatory contents omitted for readability -->
   </fileDesc>

What do others think of this? I find it rather elegant, and has exactly the
right effect.
 Information and Support Group Manager
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios