[tei-council] invalid examples allowed in Guidelines?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 9 13:43:35 EST 2011

On 9 Jan 2011, at 18:34, Kevin Hawkins wrote:

> A) To avoid validation errors at build time, would it be sufficient to
> redefine the element egXML so that it is in another namespace besides tei:?

if you make any change to the errant instances of <egXML>  in the
chapters
  a) the document would become invalid at a higher level
  b) the stylesheets would not render those examples properly
  c) the contents would not be validated at all

> B) Unlike Lou's solution d (convert all these class of examples to CDATA
> in <eg> so they are not checked at all), redefining the namespace of
> egXML lets us continue checking for well-formedness of examples.
> However, am I correct to understand that by doing this, we would lose
> the ability to validate examples at all?

we _could_ make the schema and stylesheet changes above (not too big a deal),
and support <specialEgXML> in places, and not validate them. However, there
would be _no_ validation, not even that <TEI> was not spelt <TEIX>.

its true this would be better than <eg>, as you would get well-formedness checking.

For the moment, I have fudged the issue by making this class of error
a *warning*. so if you look at the result of a run, you'll see the messages,
but it will not have caused the build to fail.
Information and Support Group Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente