[tei-council] Calling all naming experts

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 16:13:33 EST 2011

On 07/01/11 13:17, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 7 Jan 2011, at 12:54, Lou Burnard wrote:
>
>> musical numbers" . Crucially, such items are at the same hierarchic
>> level as the speeches which precede and follow them. The proposal is to
>> define a new<spGrp>  element which would stand in more or less the same
>> model.divPart, and have a content model, and have the same content model
>> as<sp>
> you don't mean that, do you? doesn't it  content model of "<sp>+" ?

indeed i don't. clearly i pressed the send key before the text was quite
ready to be sent. but it isn't just sp+ ... needs to have some other
bits and pieces of cruft like what you can have inside and between <sp>s

> the alternative is to extend the generic<ab>   to make it a grouping
> element comparable to HTML's<div>.
This, I suggest, would be  the kind of extension for which the spanish
inquisition was famous: <ab> is defined as being "just like a p but
anonymous" so making it a grouping element would be quite a stretch

>   Or invent a new generic grouper
> called<block>.

this was suggested earlier, and i see the logic, but i am not sure i see
the need for it. this particular use case is the only persuasive case
I've come across so far for non-tesselating subdivisions.