[tei-council] how to encode a hyphen at the end of a line, column, or page when you are encoding hyphens

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 16:22:00 EST 2011

On 5 Jan 2011, at 18:45, Martin Holmes wrote:

>> What about an element? what about <g type=""/>?
>
> This really does make some sense to me. Combined with a linebreak and
> some carefully-crafted values for @type, it would provide support for
> all our usage scenarios. Given, e.g., this:
>
> 	tittle<g type="connectingHyphen"><lb/>tattle

yes, I agree, this looks nice.  should be <g ref="#foo"/> of course....

> I didn't quite understand Sebastian's distinction between the
> typesetter's hyphenation and the author's -- do you mean that you want
> the recommendations to include a method of specifying responsibility for
> the hyphenation/breaking, or is there some more obvious dichotomy I'm
> missing?

I think I was being dumb, actually. all I meant is to preserve is
the fact that you write "dumb-waiter" and I write "dumbwaiter";
when that appears in print as

  dumb-
  waiter

I somehow care that my typesetter added the "-" and yours didn't.

all just different values for @type, I guess.

Information and Support Group Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente