[tei-council] how to encode a hyphen at the end of a line, column, or page when you are encoding hyphens

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 08:00:19 EST 2011

Well, like Sebastian, I don't think I would attribute the lack of
response on this issue to any lack of understanding on the part of
Council members! Myself, I am a bit at a loss to understand what it is
exactly that needs further explanation. There is a note in the element
description for <lb> which reads

"The type attribute may be used to characterize the line break in any
respect, but its most common use is to specify that the presence of the
line break does not imply the end of the word in which it is embedded. A
value such as inWord or nobreak is recommended for this purpose, but
encoders are free to choose whichever values are appropriate. "

There is also an example in 3.10.3
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#CORS5)
which reads

"The type attribute may be used on milestone elements such as lb
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-lb.html> and pb
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-pb.html> to
categorize them in any way. One particularly useful way is to indicate
whether or not these milestone tags are word-breaking. By default it is
reasonable to assume that words are not broken across page or line
boundaries, and that therefore a sequence such as
...sed imp<lb/>erator dixit...
should be tokenized as four words (sed, imp, erator, and dixit). To make
explicit that this is not the case, a tagging such as the following is
recommended:
...sed imp<lb type="nobreak"/>erator dixit...
Where hyphenation appears before a line or page break, the encoder may
or may not choose to include it, either explicitly using an appropriate
Unicode character, or descriptively for example by means of the rend
attribute; see further 3.2 Treatment of Punctuation
<http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COPU>. "

However, it's true that the referenced section on Punctuation doesn't
seem to mention hyphenation at all, so maybe it would be a good idea to
add more discussion there.

For me the main issue that needs to be clarified is the interaction
between <lb/> and whitespace with regard to implicit tokenization. The
excellent  TEI-L posting from one L. Burnard
(http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1003&L=TEI-L&P=R22031)
which you mention addresses that at length. Subsequent discussion of the
issue on TEI-L seems to support the proposals therein too. So maybe what
I should do is rehash that discussion a bit and bung it into 3.2
somewhere.  I'll try that anyway, and post a draft here for comment.