[tei-council] FR nuncles: new element tei:objectType

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 5 07:20:09 EST 2011

On 5 Jan 2011, at 12:09, Gabriel Bodard wrote:

> (a) for tei:object: GB, LR & SR think it looks nicer;
>
> (b) for tei:objectType: LB says it's ambiguous (should refer to object
> itself, not a type or class of object); SIG may want to use tei:object
> to denote something broader than this MS Desc context, and closer to the
> meaning Lou identifies.
>
> Personally, although I'm on side (a), I'm pretty convinced (as I believe
> were the rest of the nuncles) by argument (b).

yes, its a good argument.  but objectType is so weird. it makes sense
when its a descent of <objectDesc> but it will start being used elsewhere, as
in " I can't get down off the <objectType>fence</objectType>" .

look at http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/html/ref-model.pPart.msdesc.html
and see where else it may occur. scary. in <catchwords>…..

my gut feeling is to go with <object>, but maybe we should vote on it.
 Information and Support Group Manager
Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente