[tei-council] editorial services

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 16 07:46:06 EST 2010

 >> For the newcomers to Council: while "nuncle" as a noun has certain
 >> meanings in British English, it has come to be used in Council to be
 >> used as a verb for "to steward".  If this usage sticks (and I hope it
 >> doesn't
 > amen to that. I think its a horrible word!

Oh I quite like the word "nuncle"; it has a kind of bucolic charm that
tickles me, and I'm happy to see archaic words brought back into use
(albeit with idiosyncratic meanings). I do take the point about it being
jargon, however (although I didn't think it had the status of a
technical term in our community). If we need a technical term, is
"steward", "sponsor", "adopt", "usher" any better?

 > you are distinguishing the running prose from the reference
 > material? They are different skills, I agree; but I would
 > make other distinctions too - eg between changes which
 > involve simple additions or subtractions, and ones which
 > involve class manipulation and understand the changes which
 > may result in a DTD/schema.

The distinction I would make would be between writing prose (including
expect all Council members (+ SIG volunteers etc.) to be able to do, and
editing schemaSpecs and the like, which takes a certain amount of
technical know-how, which most Council members can (or could, if they
pushed themselves to learn[*]) probably do, but nevertheless probably
needs significant oversight.

([*] I include myself in the "need to push self" category.)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL