[tei-council] ODD headers and licensing terms for customizations provided by TEI-C

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 10 10:19:42 EDT 2010

> It could be dual-licenced, or even triple-licenced, to get around this.

good point

how strongly do people feel about this? our bottom line is (I assume) that we want the
Guidelines and their adjuncts completely freely redistributable and re-useable, but

 * we don't want anyone else claiming it is their work
 * we don't want anyone producing versions of it (ie PDF) without source
 * we don't want forked changed versions (ie schemas) without source

so

  YES: someone sells eBook versions of the Guidelines translated into Greek, and makes the source changes available
   NO:  someone sells eBook versions of the Greek Guidelines, but does it by translating HTML output
   YES: someone makes changes to Lite, calls it MyLite, and distributes it as ODD + PDF + DTD
    NO: someone produces MyLite.dtd by editing teilite.dtd and distributes it

I do claim that the GPL is still the right tool, as the TEI Guidelines have the
characteristic of producing "compiled" forms which can be separately distributed
and even changed in that form, and we want to preserve the link back to a free
source form.

but if  there is an opendata/open document license which covers the situation,
lets licence under that too.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente