[tei-council] ODD headers and licensing terms for customizations provided by TEI-C

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Aug 10 11:18:52 EDT 2010

On 10-08-10 07:19 AM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>> It could be dual-licenced, or even triple-licenced, to get around this.
>>
> good point

Although on consideration, it might be a thornier problem than I
originally thought. Wouldn't we have to get permission from every
contributor for a change of licensing? That's been a problem for
open-source projects in the past.

> how strongly do people feel about this? our bottom line is (I assume) that we want the
> Guidelines and their adjuncts completely freely redistributable and re-useable, but
>
>   * we don't want anyone else claiming it is their work
>   * we don't want anyone producing versions of it (ie PDF) without source
>   * we don't want forked changed versions (ie schemas) without source

I think the guidelines (or the source XML for the guidelines) and the
schemas are two different types of thing. I don't think there's much to
gain from trying to place any restrictions on the use and distribution
of schemas. We all have everything to gain and nothing to lose from
wider adoption of TEI-based schemas, and "forking" is customization,
which we openly encourage.

> so
>
>    YES: someone sells eBook versions of the Guidelines translated into Greek, and makes the source changes available
>     NO:  someone sells eBook versions of the Greek Guidelines, but does it by translating HTML output

I would say YES to this. I don't care how they generate their text, as
long as they acknowledge the source.

>     YES: someone makes changes to Lite, calls it MyLite, and distributes it as ODD + PDF + DTD
>      NO: someone produces MyLite.dtd by editing teilite.dtd and distributes it

Again, I would say YES to this. Who cares how they arrive at their
schema? It's a TEI schema -- we should be glad they're using and
distributing it.

> I do claim that the GPL is still the right tool, as the TEI Guidelines have the
> characteristic of producing "compiled" forms which can be separately distributed
> and even changed in that form, and we want to preserve the link back to a free
> source form.

My instinct is to be much more permissive; the only thing I'd want to
encourage through licensing would be attribution (in the Creative
Commons sense). But then again, if your root element is <TEI>, and your
namespace is http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0, there's attribution right there.