[tei-council] TEI Guidelines virtual language hosts + some concerns

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Apr 20 16:59:14 EDT 2010

All,

The Guidelines virtual language hosts are now working. See linked pages at

http://lister.ei.virginia.edu/~drs2n/test-links.html

At the moment links from Spanish pages to other languages are broken but
I've asked Shayne to correct the rewrite rule.

HOWEVER... after all that work, I'm wondering if it is really worth
advertising the results to the TEI community. There are a couple of issues.

1. If we claim to have language-specific P5 Guidelines hosts, it will seem
all the more strange that we do not offer genuine complete translations of
the Guidelines into any language besides English, and that most links will
lead to macaronic pages that mingle English text with definitions and
sometimes examples in another language.

2. I wish I had realized this sooner, but we did *not* need virtual
hosts to enable searching on only French, German, etc., Guidelines
localization. This can be done very easily using the appropriate Google
search parameters. See the proof of concept in the bottom half of my
test-links.html page (and look at the HTML source to see how it is
done).

Try searching for "application" using each of the 3 search options. When you
do this in French, sure enough the French examples page for <appInfo> is
the top hit. Even though most of the text there is in English...! And the
French version of the <application> ref page is near the top as well.

The existing search box on most TEI-C pages could be extended this way. In
addition, do we want to automatically generate a search box at the top of
the HTML pages for the P5 Guidelines? It is inconsistent not to have one.

I would suggest that if there is space on the April Council meeting agenda,
perhaps you can discuss some of these things and come to decisions about
exactly how you would like to present the Guidelines localizations and the
search interface.

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA