[tei-council] facsKey agayne

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Tue Feb 9 11:24:25 EST 2010

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2010, at 15:40, James Cummings wrote:
>> I think someone should post a summary of the issue to TEI-L for
>> wider discussion.
>
> I was waiting for more thoughts; I dont want to look too stupid on TEI-L.
> ("hi" to all those people reading this list via Google anyway….)
>
>> Would this also mean that other places we have say a @ref and a
>> @key that we might deprecate @key in favour of optionally using
>> @ref in this manner as well?
> ideally

I really like this idea in principle. IIRC, there isn't yet a formal
method of deprecating an element or attribute, though, is there?

We also need to think about @cRef here. I've used that on occasion, and
have been caught (by Syd, naturally) failing to supply "a canonical
reference from a scheme defined in a refsDecl element in the TEI
header", as I'm supposed to. If we're encouraging the use of custom
protocols in @facs and elsewhere, do we also want to encourage or
require some equivalent documentation of a method for discovering the
actual destination of the pointer?

Martin Holmes
(mholmes at uvic.ca)
Half-Baked Software, Inc.