[tei-council] Webex-experience

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Dec 8 15:28:09 EST 2009

Hi Lou,

I agree with you that it was surprisingly clunky for a web-app, though
of course such things need to go through a clunky phase and it is not so
long ago that we were having trouble with skype-based teleconference
software (which is now both cheap and working well). In recent weeks
I've been on a few other systems (unfortunately forget their names,
though I think were probably MS) and they worked better, so the systems
can work.

I agree with you regarding my experience with the setup: it took a long
time to load, was not particularly intuitive, and its call-out functions
seemed to set off my voice mail. And I never managed to get any kind of
desktop or anything (running firefox 3.5 on Ubuntu 9.10). I kept getting
a "return to conference" button that did nothing when selected.

However: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

-dan

Lou wrote:
> I thought it might be helpful to others contemplating the use of webex
> to report on my experience with it.  Probably my rather negative
> reactions arise from unrealistic expectations/naivety on my part, rather
> than any serious defects in the product, but for what it's worth, I
> tried it out in earnest with a serious conference involving about 17
> people scattered around the world, and we had to abandon it after about
> 10 minutes. That's not counting the hour or two I put in on other tests
> beforehand.
>
> The executive summary: it does NOT work out of the box.
>
> Here are some specific problems we encountered:
>
> 1. You have to install additional software in addition to your web
> client to connect to the conference. This can take a significant amount
> of time, depending on your client and your connexion, and (as was the
> case for one of our participants) it can be impossible if you don't have
>   sufficient privileges on the machine you're using. So for example you
> couldn't use webex from a teaching room machine, unless it has been
> previously configured with the webex client.
>
> 2. Some combinations of platform/browser Just Do Not Work. We had
> problems reported with Opera (any platform), Thunderbird (Mac OS), and
> there may be others.
>
> 3. The telephone access is very variable in quality. One of our
> participants (unfortunately the chair) could not use it because of the
> amount of background noise (and his network access was poor because of
> lowfi-wifi). Other telephone users were very loud or very quiet, or just
> suddenly dropped out.
>
> 4. I could not find any way of transmitting video using Ubuntu/Firefox
> (though I could receive it, and other applications could see my webcam)
>
> 5. Of our 17 participants, two needed to try several machines before
> they got a working installation; three got things working, but then
> found that they lost audio; two were unable to get satisfactory network
> connectivity (so their audio was too bursty to be comprehensible).
> Participants were located in the US, in Canada, and in various parts of
> Europe. They were all reasonably competent IT-skilled people.
>
> If I were going to use it again (which I would like to because when it
> works it is very nice, as well as saving us money), I would invest time
> and effort beforehand in setting up a conversation with each of the
> participants in turn, to check that their local configuration was OK. We
> did that for some of our participants and those were the ones (mostly)
> for whom everything more or less worked. The mistake I made was probably
> to assume that because it was "just a web browser", everything would
> work straight off. It doesn't.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Co-Chair, Digital Initiatives Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America
President-elect (English), Society for Digital Humanities/Société pour l'étude des médias interactifs (http://sdh-semi.org/)
Founding Director (2003-2009), Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)