[tei-council] Legal references to a customisation

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 07:09:06 EST 2009

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Hmm. the same ODD will generate a different schema today from what it would have generated in May.  So it _is_ ambiguous. The compiled form is safer, therefore.
>
> The ODD cannot specify the TEI version it is based on, remember (though arguably it should one day).

I believe this is something I've argued for in the past...not
only saying "I'm based on TEI version P5 1.5.0" which we could do
with an attribute on the schemaSpec or something. But we need
something more sophisticated than that.  The primary and
completely obvious (to me) use-case is for someone who has their
ODD and comes back to the TEI later and wants to know what has
changed.  So "I wrote my ODD based on TEI P5 1.5.0 and now you
are TEI P5 1.6.5, what has changed in the meantime?". (i.e. what
should I now also delete, or if Laurent has his way, what should
I now also add)

Ok, we're never going to be able to get to the granularity of a
wiki or something saying 'the text in this paragraph has
changed', but we should be able to do this with everything in
P5/Source/Specs/*.xml I would have thought.  One way to do this
would to add a new attribute to the *Spec elements... I don't
know something like @lastChangedAt or @dateLastChanged which
either hold a TEI version release number or a date respectively.
  This would need to be edited any time a significant change was
made to that *Spec.

If I had an ODD with a date or version number in it, and all the
P5/Source/Specs/*.xml files had an attribute with date or version
at which they were last changed, then producing a list of all
objects that have had some significant change to them would be
straightforward.

Just thinking out loud,
-James