[tei-council] webex meeting next week

Lou lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 11:16:51 EST 2009

Laurent and I just did a little experiment using the webex conference
system and can report that it seems to work fine, though you may need to
do some tweaking. Please read the following notes...

1. You need a GOOD NETWORK CONNEXION -- connexion via the phone works
but can be very noisy. connexion via a flakey network connexion (e.g.
Laurent's wifi) is OK but bursty,

2. In the "meeting center" window you'll see at top left a number of
drop down menus. Under "Audio" you can select "Volume" to adjust the
playback/mike levels. I found that I needed to tweak these to be heard.

3. On the same menu, if you select "Audio conference" you can toggle
between phone and network connexions (but see 1 above)

4. You need a headset plugged into your computer. For extra bonus
points, you also need a webcam, but it's not essential.

5. Apart from that, you just need a modern web browser. Laurent and I
communicated successfully using Thunderbird under Ubuntu (me) and Safari
on a mac (him).

6. There are lots of fun toys (chat, whiteboard, polling, etc.) in
addition to the basic audio but we should probably try to resist the
temptation to use them too much.

Anyone who wants to try out the system in advance of the call next
Monday -- send me an email (but note that I'm in a ftf meeting most of
tomorrow)