[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: Suppressed text: summary of position (FR 2242434)]

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 13:47:24 EST 2009

"Add" and "del" are different animals, because they describe action that
has already happened in the source text, rather than an action to be
taken by the processor. "Expan" is like "supplied": it's saying that
this text is in the edition because the editor has extrapolated it in
some sense. I don't mind a verb that would suggest this text is to be
considered extraneous or surplus, like <athetize> or something, but
(maybe it's just me) but "expunge" sounds too much like "remove altogether".

In any case, I don't want to keep kicking against the pricks on this
one, because the absence of this element doesn't break my life. (The
problem with "certainty", on the other hand...)

(innocent smile)

Elena Pierazzo a écrit :
> <superplus> is fine by me, but, even if Gabby doesn't like it as it
> sound as a processing instruction, I would rather prefer <expunge>: it
> is very well established editorial term (Leiden conventions use them and
> just about all textual scholarship handbooks) and all editors will
> intuitively understand what the element is for.

> complains about them as they are clear and established.
>
> Elena
>

> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>> On 3 Nov 2009, at 18:04, Gabriel Bodard wrote:
>>

>>> Not bad. Are you suggesting that because it's shorter than
>>> <superfluous>, primarily?
>>>
>> it's sort of less emotional too
>> --
>> Sebastian Rahtz
>> Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services
>> 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN. Phone +44 1865 283431
>>
>> Sólo le pido a Dios
>> que el futuro no me sea indiferente

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)