[tei-council] copy of request put in Sourceforge about elements with the same name in ODD

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 1 07:43:13 EST 2009

I want to incorporate islands of distinct markup in a TEI document, in
their own namespace. Unfortunately, one of the elements has the same
name as an existing TEI one. If I pull in the external namespace as a
RELAX NG schema, I can use a pattern prefix in the TEI to avoid the
conflict, but this precludes making DTDs and getting integrated
documentation, so I'd like to pull in (using XInclude) the external
scheme using ODD (luckily, its already written in ODD). But now I
cannot distinguish the external <term> from the TEI <term> (for it is
this element which is the evil one).

I'd like to get around this by making two changes to ODD:
   a) add a "prefix" attribute to <elementSpec>, parallel to the one
on <schemaSpec>, to allow us to determine the pattern name generated
   b) add a boolean attribute to <content> to determine whether
references therein (RELAX NG <ref>) are able to be changed by having
       prefixes added automatically (as the TEI processor normally) does

I am not 100% sure this is the most elegant solution, but I do think
that we need to cater for this situation.

Thoughts?

(if you wonder, I am pulling in ISO terminology markup, a thing called
TBX)

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente