[tei-council] Supplying default namespace with TEI Tite

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Jul 6 11:46:05 EDT 2009

Currently, in order to be able to use the TEI Tite convenience elements
without prefixes, it is necessary to validate against the DTD (by
itself, or in addition to the RELAX NG one), as the DTD supplies the
default values for pseudo-attribute @xmlns:

  <!ATTLIST i xmlns CDATA "http://www.tei-c.org/ns/tite/1.0">

etc., which allows pure <i>word</i> rather than <t:i>word</t:i> or
whatever.

Is there really nothing equivalent that can be done in RELAX NG so that
un-prefixed elements can be associated with different namespaces? (I'm
guessing "no", but thought I'd ask. The only problem with the status quo
is that anyone validating Tite documents using unprefixed convenience
elements will need a parser that can apply a DTD and RELAX NG or W3C
Schema [to constrain data types] simultaneously. This is no problem
within oXygen but might be in other environments.)

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA