[tei-council] Supplying default namespace with TEI Tite

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 18:36:21 EDT 2009

David Sewell wrote:
> Currently, in order to be able to use the TEI Tite convenience elements
> without prefixes, it is necessary to validate against the DTD

not _strictly_ true. you have to use a parser which reads the DTD....

> Is there really nothing equivalent that can be done in RELAX NG so that
> un-prefixed elements can be associated with different namespaces?

no, because RELAX NG is a dead end. It replies "yes" or "no",
it does not produce something which can then be read by a later
program.

> The only problem with the status quo
> is that anyone validating Tite documents using unprefixed convenience
> elements will need a parser that can apply a DTD and RELAX NG or W3C
> Schema [to constrain data types] simultaneously. This is no problem
> within oXygen but might be in other environments.)

It's all along been my assumption that Tite would be
used by people with a reasonably sophisticated
processing environment and understanding of XML, which
is why I at least have not been bothered by this.
If you're seeing that the assumption is false, and that
relatively naive folks will be using Tite, then
mayhap we have to think again about those convenience
elements.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente