[tei-council] multi-valued closed lists

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 15 03:38:18 EDT 2009

Lou Burnard wrote:
> I agree that this is the right way to do it i.e. dont put maxoccurs onto
> vallist. What worries me is that multi-valued attribute values are intrinsically
> evil, as we have said before.

that going it a bit, perhaps. perhaps "not well-enough defined" rather
than "evil"

> eg
> - xml doesnt constrain or preserve the order of the values so you shouldnt
> depend on it

that's ok.

> - we have no way of saying whether the values are alterantives or components of
> some larger entity -- and use cases for both

in this case, obviously, I am simply mapping @rend to the @class
in HTML, so the semantics are well understood (its a very useful
technique to have multiple values for @class) - all values apply
to the content.

perhaps we need _another_ attribute along side maxOccurs
saying treatMultiplesAs, with values of "fallbacks", "all",
"alternatives" etc. if you see what I mean. but obviously its
purely documentation.

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente