[tei-council] ESF Proposal

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 29 05:31:34 EDT 2009

Arianna Ciula wrote:
> Indeed, I did suggest the same to Lou (internationalisation could be
> more prominently highlighted than it currently is).

I'd agree with both Arianna and David on that front.

> One additional remark: the ESF guidelines state that as far as
> participants from the non-ESF country regard 'their expenses should,
> in principle, be covered from sources other than the ESF award'.

Perhaps it should be stated that the TEI-C will cover the expenses of
the one invited North American.

What struck me was the concentration on invited participants who happend
to be textual editors and people who I already happen to know.  While
all good people (and I can't think of any of them I'd not want to
invite), I had the same problem when I was thinking of people to suggest
to Lou.  All that occurred to me, obviously, were people I already knew
and most are in those kinds of subject areas.

What I'd like to see, if someone thinks of suitable people, are:

a) someone who does a lot with and understands where multimedia
applications are going on the web. (i.e. what is the next SVG/PNG/MPEG,
and what will people be doing with video/graphics in relation to texts
in 5-10 years that we can't guess.)

b) someone similar but related to the development of web publishing and
services in the next 5-10 years...not just a semantic web devotee, but a
realist with lots of experience of paying attention to how and why
things develop.  (Someone not particularly involved or interested in TEI
per se, say like Stefano Mazzocchi (Various Apache, Inventor of Cocoon,
SIMILE, etc.) would be good if he wasn't in the U.S. (although he is
Italian he lives in the US I believe).

One could make a similar argument for someone involved in hard-science
publishing. In any case, it is probably too late to think of and add
someone to the list before submission, but having some strong,
well-known, people in these fields who preferably have little
involvement with the TEI itself would be good. Equally I know that we
can't really add more people because of the budget (and again, I
couldn't suggest anyone to get rid of), but just wanted to make the
suggestion in case the perfect person occurs to someone on council.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford