[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 16:42:28 EST 2009

Whether or not we support DTDs in ODD3, we need to find a good solution
to the bibl/Struct problem. It might be a good idea to start by stating
that problem more clearly. I think the major issue  is that the
wholesale application of Occam's razor has led the TEI to treat
bibliographic descriptions which are being created and managed ex nihilo
(e.g. in a header or bibliography) in exactly the same way as things
that we wish to read as bibliographic descriptions when they appear in
an existing text (e.g. a bibliography which is being transcribed rather
than created). In either case we offer a choice between <bibl> and
<biblStruct> the only difference between which is that the latter
constrains some sort of order on its children -- but they are the same
unruly bunch.

If we decided that <biblStruct> was for the ex-novo-case, and <bibl> was
for the other one, we could separate them a bit better. For example, we
might say that <author> only made sense in <biblStruct> and that <bibl>
should instead offer only <name>. We could reorganize the current
model.biblPart class, distinguishing those which we permit inside
<biblStruct> and those which we do not.

However, this is not going to be an easy job. And I think it needs input
from a more substantial group of TEI and library users than we've so far
managed to muster to focus on it.

It might lead us to think that "conditional content models" are a sine
qua non; it might not. Let's not get too excited about the technical
aspects just too yet...