[tei-council] Fwd: grouping elements under <choice>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 16 12:53:57 EST 2008

As Peter says, we shouldn't start the fight again. Or not until there
are some new arguments to muster anyway. But I can't help myself...

<choice> is meant to be used for VERY SIMPLE CASES where you want to
indicate that there is More Than One Way of Doing It. Each of the
component children of a <choice> should represent one way of doing it.
The types of such components are deliberately restricted to
-- various kinds of editorial (non)intervention
-- generic <seg>
-- <choice> itself
This does make it possible to indicate alternative choices within
choices -- but not aggregations of choices within choices, which is
Piotr's concern.

I don't understand the grounds of Piotr's objection to the
"supersegmentation" solution though. In one case, the sequence "2." is
to be regarded as lexical; in the other it isn't. So why not
<choice>
<seg type="lexical">2.</seg>
      <seg type="punct">.</seg>
</seg>
</choice>
?
(obviously /<seg type="lexical">/ here is syntactic salt for <w> and
/<seg type="punct">/ for <c> )