[tei-council] Badges

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Dec 9 17:44:56 EST 2008

Would it be possible to come up with an alternate to the phrase "Our TEI
technology"? The latter doesn't sit quite right with me, for reasons
partly of style and partly of semantics. It's not a strong objection,
but I wonder if it could be improved upon. This is the referent that Lou
proposes for the button:

> The second one is a link to a page at which the way the site uses TEI is
> documented. Obviously this could specify whether they use P4 or P5, what their
> ODD looks like, and might even give links to some sample P5 files -- but that's
> up to the site concerned.

If "the way the site uses TEI" is construed in the very broadest sense,
for example an explanation of conformance level, P4/P5 usage,
customizations, and delivery system (how are TEI texts converted for
browser presentation?), then maybe "TEI technology" is the best phrase
to cover all possibilities. But if the emphasis is on the underlying
document markup practices, how about

  [ TEI conformance ]   or   [ TEI encoding ]

or to have something more similar to the W3C "valid HTML" buttons,
asserting that one is following best practices:

  [ Conformant TEI ]

?

We'd have an easier time with a button, by the way, if there was an
O'Reilly TEI book to provide us with an iconic animal; see samples of
"Created by Docbook" and "Powered by Perl" buttons here:

http://lister.ei.virginia.edu/~drs2n/button/

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA