[tei-council] Badging

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 16:29:11 EST 2008

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> The most common idea is that we write up a code snippet that puts
> "Powered by TEI" with a logo and a link (a la W3C conformance labels)
> to... well something: the TEI-C site, or perhaps the conformance level
> section of 23. I've tried out some ideas here:
> http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/Blog/sample-badges

the "5" ones look over-fussy to me, but the simplest]
one at the top looks plausible. I could imagine using that

> The main technical issues involve
> whether it is practicable or desirable to have people indicate versions
> of TEI (P4 vs. P5 vs. a general TEI badge)

I'd say keep it general. We don't have a conformancy testing
service, so what we care about is just TEI awareness

> Final questions, I suppose, are what the badges should point at and
> whether their should be constraints on the nature of the site one
> attaches such a badge to, e.g.

just point at http://www.tei-c.org/, I'd say.
as above, simpler the better

> Does the badge refer to the whole site or only a portion of it? If I
> have TEI-encoded data in my project's back end, but the public page has
> data in a mix of different sources and formats, does the badge apply?

it means whatever the user says. let them decide where to put it.

> XML files? I.e. could it appear on a completely html website which
> produces all of most of its content from TEI, or must the site provide
> direct access to the TEI xml in order to have the badge?

I'd not attempt to police it at all. let the community do that.
don't over-prescribe usage, think of it as just a banner advert
for the TEI

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente