[tei-council] Making absolutely bare a little more bare

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 8 10:45:40 EST 2008

David, et al.

I think I'd be one of those to argue against providing as a starting
point the customisation David is suggesting.

Though it is fairly easy, you just add  start="TEI teiCorpus text" to
your ODD's schemaSpec and hey presto, you are also able to start your
documents at the <text> element.  In fact, I have one of these that is
tei_all that uses <div> as an optional start, but _only_ because these
are separate documents I want to validate separately (and for oxygen
support when editing them), but I know that they will certainly be
incorporated into a larger TEI document. I'd worry about people feeling
it is recommended practice to create TEI documents without a header.

While I'd be the first to defend the flexibility and occasional
redundancy of multiple methods in the TEI world, I think where we can
encourage best practice (e.g. in documenting your file) then we should.

The header-related bugbear that I think we *should* tackle when we come
back to this is the number of instances in the header where use of
macro.phraseSeq or macro.paraContent or similar really allows entirely
unnecessary child elements. For a randomly selected example, look at
everything that  <extent> can contain.
http://snipurl.com/tei-p5-doc/ref-extent.html Does it really need all
those?  (Yes, I know the problem is it is also used elsewhere...but
maybe we should start using schematron or something to constrain this?)
Maybe this comes under the revision of ODD though?

-James