[tei-council] "Getting Started": a couple of questions

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 25 03:03:31 EST 2008

> I'm working on my section, but as this is Thanksgiving holiday week
> here and I will be driving 1500 miles (~2400 km), "end of November"
> is likely to mean "first week of December" for a draft that can be
> shared.

We haven't really set a new deadline for an initial draft of our
chapters. Arianne, Laurent, James, David: how about December 14? Elena,
would you perhaps be able to expand on your notes by then?

> 1. How is the provisional HTML rendering at
> http://peterboot.nl/tei/gs.html being generated? (Which XSLT
> stylesheet is applied to the source XML, and are you using a cron job
> to update the files regularly based on the Sourceforge repository?)
> (The rendering of <egXML> is perfect in the print version that uses
> tei-print.css, but erroneous in the browser version that uses
> tei.css, which means that either the stylesheet or the CSS [or both]
> need minor adjustments.)

I had to tweak the standard stylesheets a little, and meant to look
further into this. Tweaking shouldn't be necessary I think. I'll look
into it tonight.

> 2. In our references to page counts ("The getting started document
> that you are reading now is about 50 pages long"), are we basing our
>  estimates on the results of Print Preview on the HTML version?
> (Usually a higher page count than XSL-FO output to PDF.)

The '50 pages' was intended as a very rough estimate. But let's think of
a decently formatted document, not an HTML printout.

Peter