[tei-council] <sourceDesc> example

John A. Walsh jawalsh at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 18 14:27:47 EST 2008

Hi all,

I just experienced some confusion regarding sourceDesc among some of
my students, and so I  offer the following suggestions:

The reference page for sourceDesc defines it thusly:
"supplies a description of the source text(s) from which an electronic
text was derived or generated."

The is fairly vague and general.  I'd suggest:

"supplies a bibliographic description of the source text(s) from which
an electronic text was derived or generated."

or

"supplies a description, typically a bibliographic description, of the
source text(s) from which an electronic text was derived or generated."

Also, the single example provide is:

<sourceDesc>
</sourceDesc>

I suggest we add another example with one of our bibl elements as a
child of sourceDesc.

Of course, the corresponding chapter clears up any confusion, but the
reference pages are widely used, and I think this one could be
clarified easily enough.

Thanks,

John (Taking advantage of my few remaining days as a Council member!)