[tei-council] pb, lb

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 17 12:08:45 EST 2008

I've just checked through the guidelines, and I must say I cannot find
any obviously inconsistent uses. The text quite explicitly recommends
that <lb/> should be given at the start of a line, rather than its end,
and that is what all the examples I can find do. Can you point to the
examples you have in mind?

The only variant behaviour I found is whether or not a <lb> is given at
the start of elements such as <p> or <head>, where one might reasonably
argue that they are implicit. This omission is explicitly licenced in
the guidelines:  "By convention, the start
of a metrical line implies the start of a typographic line; hence
there is no need to introduce an <gi>lb</gi> tag at the start of every
<gi>l</gi> element, but only at places where a new typographic line
starts  within a metrical line, as in the following example:"(see
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#COVE)
It's debatable whether this implied lb should be applicable to cases
like <rubric> and other quotes within an <msItem> -- I'd say probably not.

But in any case, I don't see the argument as implying that *all* <lb/>s
be explicitly marked.