[tei-council] pb, lb

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 13 15:06:25 EST 2008

Hi Arianna,

Arianna Ciula schreef:

> I know this seems like awaking dead cats (is this an idiom at all?),

I thought it was sleeping dogs? (In Dutch we use 'pulling a dead horse'
for a hopeless undertaking.)

> I am asking because today I was asked to explain the example available
> on the reference specs for <lb/>
> (http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-lb.html):
>
> <docTitle>
>   <titlePart type="main">
>    <lb/>THE
>   <lb/>Pilgrim's Progress
>   <lb/>FROM
>   <lb/>THIS WORLD,
>   <lb/>TO
>   <lb/>That which is to come:
>   </titlePart>
> </docTitle>
>
> ...and that <lb/> at the beginning is not consistent with other examples...

I would say that there might be cases where a docTitle does not
necessarily begin on a new line. For projects that encounter that
situation, an initial <lb> might be necessary in the cases where it does.

Peter