[tei-council] pb, lb

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 06:55:54 EST 2008

Hi all,

I know this seems like awaking dead cats (is this an idiom at all?), but
do we still intend to do something about the beginning/break ambiguity
and the implicit hierarchy of milestones elements?

Has something being done in the prose of the guidelines that I missed?

I am asking because today I was asked to explain the example available
on the reference specs for <lb/>
(http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-lb.html):

<docTitle>
  <titlePart type="main">
   <lb/>THE
  <lb/>Pilgrim's Progress
  <lb/>FROM
  <lb/>THIS WORLD,
  <lb/>TO
  <lb/>That which is to come:
  </titlePart>
<!-- etc. -->
</docTitle>

...and that <lb/> at the beginning is not consistent with other examples...

Arianna

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
> Would renaming them pageBegin, lineBegin etc., in the prose not go a
> long way to solving some of the inconsistent use on short notice? It
> <pb/> but it would go a good way to influencing behaviour on the first
> issue right away. And perhaps a small paragraph or sentence or too in
> the guidelines based on Lou's essay would help influence behaviour on
> the second issue.
>
> On Fri, 2007-28-09 at 14:35 +0200, Laurent Romary wrote:
>> I would definitely support this!
>> Laurent
>>
>> Le 28 sept. 07 à 12:10, Lou Burnard a écrit :
>>
>>> Here is a small essay on this topic, with a suggestion at the end.
>>>
>>> Most milestone units indicate a change of state of some kind. The
>>> default assumption is that the old state ceases to apply and the new
>>> state starts to apply at the point the milestone tag is inserted in
>>> the
>>> text. Consequently if for some state (say "being on page 42") there is
>>> no milestone, you are not yet in that state. This is the rationale for
>>> saying that you must put a <pb> before the material on page 42, not
>>> after it.
>>>
>>> There is another interpretation of milestones, which is that they are
>>> solely there to mark points (like <anchor>s). In this sense, the <lb/>
>>> for example doesn't really mark a change of state (from "being on this
>>> line" to "being on a different line") but simply the notional point
>>> between the two lines. But this looks like sophistry to me.
>>>
>>> I think there are two real usage issues that need to be addressed
>>> somehow. The first is that *some* milestone changes imply changes in
>>> others Changing from one page to the next implies of necessity
>>> changing
>>> from one line to the next and (if I am doing columns) one column to
>>> the

Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate
Centre for Computing in the Humanities