[tei-council] Booking TEI meeting: Gatwick vs. Heathrow?

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 3 07:45:25 EDT 2008

Hi David,

I am really sorry I missed this thread of emails and so you have
probably already booked your flight.

Indeed, both airports have similar facilities (see
http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/cocoon/tei2008/practical/travel.html - although
from Heathrow you can also take the tube all the way to central London
and to Covent garden - very close to conference venue -....it takes much
longer though).

The express train from Heathrow takes you to Paddington station, while
the express train from Gatwick takes you to Vicoria. So if you haven't
booked yet, see where your hotel is and, if you are not getting a taxi,
how easy is to get there from these stations (tube maps at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx).

Best,
Arianna

David Sewell wrote:
> Thanks--this all indicates that one should probably pick the arrival
> airport that offers the best option in departure/arrival times, so
> that's what I'll aim for.
>
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, James Cummings wrote:
>
>> Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

>>> but thats cos you live in Oxford. David's travelling
>>> to the conference at Kings, which is proabbly slightly
>>> nearer Gatwick
>> Seems a toss up when I look on nationalrail.co.uk the time including changes
>> is about the same, but there is an extra change coming from heathrow.  Trains
>> from heathrow seem to be more frequent, but that also means it is a busier
>> route.  Swings and roundabouts as someone might say.
>>
>> -James
>>

> --
> David Sewell, Editorial and Technical Manager
> ROTUNDA, The University of Virginia Press
> PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
> Courier: 310 Old Ivy Way, Suite 302, Charlottesville VA 22903
> Email: dsewell at virginia.edu   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
> Web: http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/

Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate