[tei-council] Quoting a TEI object

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Wed Sep 10 11:24:26 EDT 2008

As an alternative to using a TEI-specific convention for citing URLs, we
might want to consider adopting one or another of the standard systems
for permanent identifiers, for example DOI (Digital Object Identifier).

In the case of DOI, there would be some fairly minimal costs involved to
register the DOIs with one of the national registries, but some more
extensive costs in human time to set up a good system for mapping from
our existing nomenclature to a set of DOI identifiers. (Publishers
typically use DOIs to identify individual books or journal articles, but
they can be more granular: every reference page in the Guidelines could
have its own DOI, for example.)

The advantage of doing this would be that anyone accustomed to using
DOIs for citations could simply cite a DOI. So instead of the reference
for <name> in the Guidelines

  http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-name.html

we would use something like

  doi:10.1111/tei-p5-doc:en:ref-name.html

which would be resolved to the actual Web address by a DOI resolver.
(Many journal DOIs are mostly numeric but the syntax allows more
human-readable names).

If we seriously want to consider an option like this, we should put out
a call to the librarians/metadata gurus in our community for assistance
with implementation.