[tei-council] Requests 1925125 and 1933198

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 09:19:22 EDT 2008

Thanks for this, Peter; excellent questions.

Peter Boot a écrit :
> I may be missing something very elementary, but what is the intended
> difference between @min and @atLeast? I'd think if x is the minimum
> value for some quantity, that quantity is at least x?

The difference between the pairs of attributes @min/@max and
@atLeast/@atMost is similar to that between from/to and
notBefore/notAfter in dating. Namely that @min/@max are the start and
end points of a range (e.g. from the third kilometer to the seventh
kilometer of this particular stretch of road), while @atLeast/@atMost
are the smallest and largest possible values of an uncertain figure
(probably between 80 and 85 pounds).

> att.ranging should include the members of att.dimensions, I understand

The other way around, in fact: the members of att.dimensions should also
all be members of att.ranging, but not necessarily vice versa.

> from Gabriel's later post. But currently att.dimensions only includes
> these members: depth dimensions height space width. At the last telcon
> we agreed that elements that now have only @extent should also get
> @quantity and @unit, presumably by being included in att.dimensions.
> Does your proposal cover this? Which elements exactly? gap? att.damaged?

The elements that are not already members of att.dimensions and that
should inherit @quantity, @unit, @precision (and att.ranging) are mainly
<gap/> and <space/>. (That's all that occurs to me off-hand, though
there may be others. Which other elements currently take @extent?)

Thanks!

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)