[tei-council] [Fwd: and then there's the TBOs question]

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 6 11:15:15 EDT 2008

I would have to say that I agree with David here.  I see no useful
reason for getting rid of any of the doc* elements, especially as I know
people who really make use them.  (While I myself have never personally
used them.)  Expanding where they are allowed, specifically to msItem
and msContents seems a reasonable compromise to me.

The easiest way to do this, of course, is to allow model.titlepagePart
to be allowed there.  However, the members of that are:

binaryObject byline docAuthor docDate docEdition docImprint docTitle
epigraph figure graphic imprimatur titlePart

whereas I'd be much more comfortable if not all of these were allowed in
msContents/msItem.  Perhaps a list of just:

docAuthor docDate docEdition docImprint docTitle epigraph  imprimatur

as that removes the image-related ones, and titlePart which is available
inside docTitle.

-James

David Sewell wrote:
> I think we would seriously alienate a large population of people in the
> digital library community (and elsewhere) if we were to decree that in
> P6 all the docXYZ elements were gone, or even deprecated.
>
> There's a huge base of code, specifications, and procedurals out there
> that assumes their existence, and converting all of that goes well
> beyond a simple XSLT transform.
>
> I don't think there's enough justification at this point for the break
> with backward compabitibility that the merger would entail.
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Syd Bauman wrote:
>
>>> 1. the elements docAuthor, docDate, docImprint, and docTitle
>>> currently permitted only within a titlePage, should be made
>>> available within msItem and msContents.
>> Or, alternatively, the elements <docAuthor>, <docDate>, <docEdition>,
>> <docImprint>, and <docTitle> should be eliminated, as they serve no
>> <imprint>, and <title> if they were permitted as children of
>> <titlePage> (and <msItem> and <msContents>).

Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford