[tei-council] <foliation> in MS

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 09:44:00 EDT 2008

David Sewell wrote:
> it is clear that there *should* be more than one <foliation> in some
> cases, so that at least needs to be reflected in the content model of
> <supportDesc>.  So I'd vote to change.
>
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
>> I'd really quite like to make <foliation> repeatable, as that
>> seems to be the intention of the prose about it. Does the Council
>> authorize such a last-minute change?

I'd also agree that this should be repeatable.

I'd also want to suggest that we re-examine the issue of how strict some
of the content models are in the msDesc model at some point in the
future.  It isn't that I don't think that this is useful, but some of
them (as with foliation) have the real potential to be repeatable.  This
seems to be exactly the kind of situation where there is a customisation
use-case.  Let's pretend that all of the supportDesc children (erm,
support, extent, collation, condition, and of course foliation... from
memory) were repeatable and allowable in any order.  A good example
customisation might be to specify some of these not to be repeatable,
and to only allow them in a specific order.  (i.e. to recreate what the
TEI currently has.)

But for now, just allowing foliation to be repeatable I can see as a
corrigible bug since, as David points out, the prose seems to indicate
it should be.

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford