[tei-council] <foliation> in MS

Arianna Ciula arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 13:01:18 EDT 2008

I agree foliation should be definitively repeatable, but I can see an
argument for making others repeatable too ...but that's going too far
for now...

I also agree with David that it may seem confusing to have snippets of
text all in one sequence without interruption within the same example
box, especially when that sequence means 'this belong to the same
document' in other cases; may be we can differentiate those examples
stylistically somehow? this is a job that requires editing the examples
one by one though...so not for now...

I think, in the medium term, there is room for improving the examples in
general e.g. making them citable as Dan, I think, pointed out.

Arianna

David Sewell wrote:
> In the content model for <supportDesc>:
>
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-supportDesc.html
>
> there are several elements that are permitted zero or one times:
>
> ( support?, extent?, foliation?, collation?, condition? )
>
> In the Guidelines at 10.7 ("Physical Description"), the examples for
> <collation> and <condition> rather confusingly suggest that more than
> one can be used, although I think the intent is to give examples of
> different ways of using the single element. But at 10.7.1.4
>
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/MS.html#msphfo
>
> it is clear that there *should* be more than one <foliation> in some
> cases, so that at least needs to be reflected in the content model of
> <supportDesc>.  So I'd vote to change.
>
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
>> I'd really quite like to make <foliation> repeatable, as that
>> seems to be the intention of the prose about it. Does the Council
>> authorize such a last-minute change?
>>

> --
> David Sewell, Editorial and Technical Manager
> ROTUNDA, The University of Virginia Press
> PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
> Courier: 310 Old Ivy Way, Suite 302, Charlottesville VA 22903
> Email: dsewell at virginia.edu   Tel: +1 434 924 9973
> Web: http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/

Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate