[tei-council] where to put schematron constraints

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 08:27:20 EDT 2008

The ODD setup _per se_ has no place to
record Schematron constraints. For the
purpose of P5, I have extended the
content model of <content> to allow
them to be embedded there, in their own
namespace. This all works fine.

If you want to add some rules to an existing
element in your project ODD, you have
therefore to duplicate the current
<content> and add in your rules. This
seems clumsy and error-prone.

I'd like to change all this to move Schematron
rules so that they are children of <elementSpec>
directly. I would implement this by defining
a new macro "macro.schemaConstraints"
which defaults to empty, and is at the end of
the content model for <elementSpec>. in
the ODD for P5, I would then redefine that
macro to allow "anything in the Schematron
language".

Any thoughts?