[tei-council] Copyright and fair use in Guidelines quotations

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sun Apr 20 09:30:03 EDT 2008

I've already added the example using the four lines to CO, after passing
it by Lou, with a citation in BIB to the Journal of Folklore Research
source but no reference to copyright status. I think that should be
okay; that issue of JFR makes it clear that variant forms of the ballad
have been recorded and published widely since the 1920s.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Laurent Romary wrote:
>> Hi David,
>> I would definitely use the example, but associating it with the
>> information you give in your message:
>> - probable source in 1916
>> - "claimed" copyright by....
>>
> If I were a lawyer, I would say that putting this in
> implies that you tacitly accept the claim.
>
> I'd use another example. Does the Erl King
> fit the bill?
>
> /"Mein Vater, mein Vater, und siehst du nicht dort/
> /Erlkönigs Töchter am düstern Ort?"/
> /"Mein Sohn, mein Sohn, ich seh es genau:/
> /Es scheinen die alten Weiden so grau."/

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA