[tei-council] Galway: recommendations.

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 17:23:06 EDT 2008

Paul F. Schaffner wrote:
> Point taken. But the buses do run, albeit on their winter schedule;
> I found a B&B near Maam Bridge willing to take me on Saturday
> (and directed me to the village pub for directions), and
> another in Leenane on Sunday and Monday; and I assume that the
> sea, the Maumturks, and the Twelve Bens/Pins are still open, though
> the path of the Western Way may be a bit mucky. Aside from a shop
> or two for food and water, what else does one need? The charts
> I've looked at suggest that April is actually one of the drier
> months, on average (though that's not saying much), and that
> there should be adequate time between sunup and sundown (I hope)
> to walk the 20 miles from Maam to Leenane. If the truth is
> otherwise, best I learn it now!

If I had the time I'd love to join Paul on his hike.  Instead I'm going
to visit some of the same locations in comfort and style on the 10am
Saturday departure of a bus tour to Connemara:

http://www.healytours.ie/tour_connemara.html

I know these things can be a bit silly compared to doing it yourself,
but I thought being pressed for time, possibility of rain, etc. that it
just seemed a heck of a lot easier.  One of you may already be joining
me on it, but others welcome as well.

-James