[tei-council] age= of <person> & <personGrp>

Lou's Laptop lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 12:11:57 EST 2008

Syd Bauman wrote:
> This attribute is not mentioned anywhere in chapter 17 Names, Dates,
> People, and Places. It is demonstrated (without *any* prose
> discussion) once in 20.2.2 The Participants Description:
>   <person sex="2" age="mid">
> No useful documentation is provided for it in the <person> or
> <personGrp> tagdoc, and there is one example in the <person> tagdoc:
>   <person sex="2" age="42">
> BTW, the same person is being described in the two examples.

The tagdoc is in error, and I have now corrected it to match
the prose.

> The usage in 20.2.2 is what I expected: an alphanumeric string from a
> project-provided closed set of values that indicate age ranges of
> interest to the project's research. I can't understand why this
> attribute is declared as data.word instead of data.enumerated.

probably because the enumeration hasnt been formulated yet
> The usage in the <person> tagdoc seems to me to be in error.
>
> But either way, the documentation should be much clearer. Although I
> don't feel I'm the most qualified to do this, I will be happy to take
> a first crack at it soon. (But if someone else wants the task, speak
> up!)

I suggest you propose a suggested val|List as a sourceforge feature request.

One could also argue that the attribute should be removed or renamed --
its original (P4) purpose has been rendered unnecessary by the
availability of the more pfrecise <event>  elements within <person>
which is probably why it's not discussed in that chapter.