[tei-council] age= of <person> & <personGrp>

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Fri Feb 8 09:54:36 EST 2008

This attribute is not mentioned anywhere in chapter 17 Names, Dates,
People, and Places. It is demonstrated (without *any* prose
discussion) once in 20.2.2 The Participants Description:
  <person sex="2" age="mid">
No useful documentation is provided for it in the <person> or
<personGrp> tagdoc, and there is one example in the <person> tagdoc:
  <person sex="2" age="42">
BTW, the same person is being described in the two examples.

The usage in 20.2.2 is what I expected: an alphanumeric string from a
project-provided closed set of values that indicate age ranges of
interest to the project's research. I can't understand why this
attribute is declared as data.word instead of data.enumerated.

The usage in the <person> tagdoc seems to me to be in error.

But either way, the documentation should be much clearer. Although I
don't feel I'm the most qualified to do this, I will be happy to take
a first crack at it soon. (But if someone else wants the task, speak
up!)