[tei-council] Chapter 1

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Thu Feb 7 17:31:24 EST 2008

> > 1.3.1.1.2 - "The xml:lang attribute indicates the language, writing
> > system, and character set associated with a given element and all its
> > contents." Shouldn't this read something like "language, script, and
> > regional or other variant associated with..."?  (Same with the
> > definition of data.language).
> >
> I am not sure why it refers to chatracter set, but I dont think
> "script and regional or other variant" gains in precision on
> "writing system" What do others think?

I think "character set" is at least misleading, if not in error, and
have removed it. I think Brett's suggested "script, and regional or
other variant" *does* provide a gain in precision, a gain that I
don't think we want here at all. We'd like to keep the prose here as
abstract as we reasonably can, no?

> > 1.5 (very end of chapter) - Do the RELAX NG null values need also
> > to be in a particular order? Otherwise, it seems this information
> > doesn't belong here according to the context (that the classes
> > are arranged in order), unless there is a stronger transition.
> >
> Yes, I believe they do need to be declared first.

I don't think they need to be declared first. I think if you open
tei_bare.rnc and move the lines
 model.placeStateLike = notAllowed
 model.publicationStmtPart = notAllowed
 model.qLike = notAllowed
to the end of the file, you still end up with a perfectly valid,
usable schema.