[tei-council] Chapter 9 - Dictionaries

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at loria.fr
Mon Feb 4 09:06:51 EST 2008

One important thing to understand is the role of <cit> in P5 as a
generic container for any linguistic quotation/example refined by
linguistic or biliographical information. It may thus occur in
context where one would just want to provide an example (it has thus
replaced the 'old' and specific dictEG we used to have in P4) or
translations (thus replacing the 'old' tr+trans construction). A
typical interesting application is for me:
  <cit type="translation" xml:lang="en">
   <quote>remoulade</quote>
   <quote>rémoulade</quote>
   <def>dressing containing mustard and herbs</def>
  </cit>
Where the definition situates the meaning of the translation in the
target language.
A more usual one is a translation that only applies in certain
grammatical or semantic circumstances:
    <cit type="translation" xml:lang="fr">
     <quote>habilleur</quote>
     <gen>m</gen>
    </cit>
And a more elaborate one when an example is provided with its
translation:
  <cit type="example">
    <quote>she's a stylish <oRef/>
    </quote>
    <cit type="translation" xml:lang="fr">
     <quote>elle s'habille avec chic</quote>
    </cit>
   </cit>
You see that <quote> is always used as default element for the phrase/
sentence, and would recommend this as good practices to guaranty some
homogeneity of such linguistic elements all over a dictionary.
So let's avoid <eg> in any case, and try to use the cit/quote
construction in a systematic way.
Laurent